Sunday, Sunday, Sunday…. I have such a love-hate relationship with you. All I want to do is lay around and nap, but it’s prime time to prep for the week- and I know I will appreciate it later.
There are always 1-2 days during the week that will allow for next to no time to cook dinner (late workout class, after work errands, etc.) So make-ahead dinners are a must.
These cilantro-lime chicken stuffed peppers were on the menu last week when we went to a halloween happy hour for Theo’s day care. Yes, he goes to day care. Yes, it was a bunch of dogs dressed up at a bar.. and YES it was fantastic! Check my instagram for our hotdog, ketchup, mustard ensemble.
I love stuffed pepper, but wanted to add a little twist on the typical ground beef/turkey versions I usually make. Here’s what I came up with
Cilantro-Lime Chicken & Black Bean Stuffed Peppers
Yield: 2 servings, 1 full pepper each
- 8 oz raw chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup white rice, dry
- 1 cup + 2-3 tbsp chicken broth
- 1/2 of a lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 medium to large green peppers
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a pot, fill with enough water to cover. Boil for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked and shreds easily (draining water)
- Cook rice with broth, juice and zest from 1/2 lime according to package directions (subbing broth for the called water)
- Add rice, black beans, cilantro, and salt and pepper to shredded chicken
- Slice peppers in half and remove seeds. Stuff each half with rice mixture
- At this point, store them in a container until ready to re-heat and eat.
- When ready to eat, you can either nuke these, or place them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. To keep them from getting too dry add 2-3 tbsp broth (or water) over prepared peppers.
Nutrition Information Per 1 full pepper (2-halves): 370 calories, 4.4g fat, 46g carbohydrates, 34.1g protein
As always super simple, super quick, and super affordable. Give these a try the next time you see your schedule leads into the evening. Your body will thank you for not running through the drive though.
Now to gather some motivation for the day. Thank god I went to the gym before my brain was able to wakeup. Can’t I just lay with this guy all day?