There is one surefire way to sell me on a dish: top it with an egg.
They are so pretty to me, add great flavor, and it’s incredibly satisfying when you break the yolk.
At about 70 calories and 6 grams of protein, a large egg is also a nutritious choice. Combine that with an antioxidant packed sweet potato and fiber filled black beans and you’ve got a nutrition powerhouse.
This dish is so versatile you can try it at breakfast, lunch or dinner….Or all three, because it is just that good.
Fiesta Fried Egg Topped Sweet Potato
Yield: 1 serving
- 1 medium to large sweet potato
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 2 tbsp. corn
- 1 tbsp. red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes, canned
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub sweet potato and pierce with fork 6-8 times. Wrap loosely in a piece of wet paper towel and microwave for ~6 minutes, flipping potato half way through.
- Meanwhile, combine black beans, corn, red onion, green pepper and tomato in a large skillet to warm, season with salt and pepper.
- Move the veggies to one side of the pan to keep warm and fry egg sunny side up on other side.
- When potato is done cut it in half and use a fork to mash innards. Make a welt in each half to fill with veggie mixture, top with fried egg.
- Serve warm.
Nutrition Information: 333 calories, 5.25g fat, 60g carbohydrates, 15g protein