It can get so cold and dark here in the mitten during the dreary winter months. I find that the little things throughout the day can make it 10x more exciting. These sweet potato brownie are included in that.
For 127 calories per generous sized fudgey, brownie, you can’t beat it. The potatoes take on the cocoa powder flavor and you actually don’t taste them. Great for kids and adults alike 😉
Plus, for only 127 calories per brownie, you can totally serve these A-la-Mode, which we did on more than one occasion. Thank goodness for Kroger’s large lactose-free ice cream selection. Plus, it’s only $3 bucks and actually tastes like creamy ice cream- unlike a lot of other dairy-free versions I have tried. Two Thumbs Up.
Sweet Potato Brownies
Yield: 9 servings
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk of choice*
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup stevia
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a an 11 x 7 or 9 x 9 baking dish, set aside.
- Wash, scrub, peel and cube sweet potatoes. Place sweet potatoes in a microwave safe bowl, wrapped in a wet paper towel. Microwave for 2-3 minutes until soft.**
- Allow potatoes to cool**. Place in food processor, once cooled, add applesauce, vanilla, milk, and eggs. Pulse until pureed.
- Transfer potatoes mixture to a large mixing bowl, adding remaining ingredients, except chocolate chips. Once mixed thoroughly, fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for ~22 minutes.
- Cut into nine brownies.
Nutrition Information Per Brownie: 127 calories, 3.4g fat, 25g carb, 4g protein
*I used unsweetened cashew milk
**May also bake or boil potatoes if you prefer.