I don’t know how your workplace is, but for me, we are always in the process of coordinating some sort of party/potluck- or at least that’s the way it feels. They’re nice because they break up the work day and give you something to look forward to, but I always feel like I am left with the anxiety of trying to figure out what to bring. Usually this is my own fault because I either wait until the last minute- or just plain forget.
This happened to me again just a few days ago. It was 6pm the day before the potluck and I still had no idea what I was bringing. I was not in the mood to be running to the store, so I took survey of my pantry. The result? Black bean & sweet potato pinwheels.
Pinwheels are a perfect pot-luck item. They’re just small, appetizer-like bites, so no one feels like that have to take a huge heaping, helping with portion control. Plus they stay good for a few days, so you can snack on them later in the day, send some home with co-workers, or take them for lunch yourself the next day. Also, bringing these allows you to be sure there will be a healthy option available- which may not always be the case!
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Pinwheels
Yield: 18 pinwheels
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp each: Onion Powder, Cumin, Garlic powder,
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed & drained
- 3 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- Scrub and peel potatoes. Boil in a pot of water until tender.
- Mash soft potatoes with a potato masher. Adding in butter and spices.
- Lay 1 tortilla flat and spread 1/3 of the mashed potatoes evenly on top
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of black beans on top of potatoes
- Lay a few leaves of spinach up the middle
- Roll tortilla rightly and cut into 6 even slices
- Repeat steps 3-6 with remaining 2 tortillas and ingredients
Nutrition Information Per Pinwheel: 57 calories, 1.2g fat, 10g carbohydrate, 1.5g protein